If you’ve followed me for a while, you know I love to spin healthy recipes from classic, , unhealthy favorites! With the holidays’s approaching, I couldn’t resist creating an uber healthy and delicious spin on “Green Bean Casserole.”
Whole foods. Nothing processed. Vegan. Paleo. Nut-free. Clean. Fresh and delicious. This is a total crowd-pleaser!
Indeed, everyone around your holiday table this year will be saying, “OMG, WHO made the Green Bean Casserole this year? This recipe is to-die-for!”
Healthy Green Bean Casserole is super delicious, super healthy and with every flavor that you’re used to tasting in this classic holiday dish, sans the processed, nutrient-devoid and inflammatory ingredients of the of days gone by recipe!
- 1 – 1/2 pounds green beans, clipped and cleaned
- 1 pound parsnips, diced
- 1 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 1 Vidalia onion, sliced thin
- 1 1/2 small onion, diced and sautéed
- 1 clove garlic, minced and sautéed
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper
Crispy Caramelized Onions:
- 1 large Vidalia onion, sliced thin
- Sauté slowly over medium low heat until caramelized and crispy, a tablespoon of coconut oil, sliced Vidalia onion, sea salt and cracked black pepper. Set aside.
Sautéed Onion & Garlic:
- 1/2 small onion
- Saute until clear and translucent over medium-low heat
- Saute until tender, mushrooms, sea salt and cracked black pepper. Set Aside.
- Steam al dente — firm but slightly tender
- Steam lightly to a firm texture
In a Vitamix or high-speed blender, puree parsnips, 1/4 of sautéed mushrooms, sautéed 1/2 small onion and garlic, sea salt and cracked black pepper. Add water slowly to achieve a smooth, creamy texture.
Combine & Cook:
In a large bowl, toss green beans, remaining mushrooms and sauce until well combined. Pour into a glass baking dish and bake at 375° until browning and bubbly. Top with caramelized onions and serve!